I have just returned from Phoenix, where I attended two fabulous medical conferences—Innovate: Cultivating the Leader in You and Overcoming Obesity, both sponsored by the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP).
Going to my ASBP bi-annual conferences is one of the highlights of the year for me. Not only do I have the opportunity to re-connect with my professional colleagues from around the country, I also get the latest cutting-edge clinical education that I can immediately put into practice. I always return home feeling re-energized and filled with excitement about my specialty! This time was no exception.
In future posts I will explore more of the specifics of what we learned, but for now will share the highlights.
Innovate: Cultivating the Leader in You
• The value of being an obesity medicine leader in society and within the medical community.
• The need for us to advocate with legislators for laws that promote and support the prevention and treatment of obesity.
• Becoming known in our communities as obesity medicine experts.
• Conducting clinical research and disseminating our findings.
• Looking at the big picture of obesity and understanding all of the factors.
• Advanced learning on lipid (cholesterol) testing.
• Discussing weight control with adolescents.
• The Sugar Pandemic
• The New ASBP Obesity Algorithm—very exciting!!
• Obesity-induced female hormone dysfunction
• The latest on medications that treat obesity.
• Implications of sleep on obesity.
• Thyroid dysfunction and weight gain.
• The health benefits of physical activity.
Stay tuned for more details on all of the above!